Handmade Drawknife

For a long time I've needed a drawknife and always wanted to make one, I decided to re-use an old farm tool that wasn't serving any purpose in my workshop. I don't have a forge so most of the reshaping work was done with grinding and cutter tools and a butane torch was used to attempt to make the tangs. I say attempt as I didn't leave enough material for the 2nd tang and they've ended up very different lengths!
 I decided the shorter tang is still long enough for my needs and as long as I place it on the left side (the side I pull on less when using a drawknife) it should stay in place. The other side was actually too long and I had to shorten it to fit the handle. Unfortunately I didn't get pics of it's earlier form. 
My next attempt will be better but for now I'm going to carry on with this one; The wood I've chosen for the handles are these Cherry offcuts. It looks plain at the moment but Cherry takes on a beautiful rich colour when seasoned, I figure that as the large knots dry they should develop an interesting grain.
  They were actually a bit too green so I roughed them down then put them in a microwave for 1 minute, this allowed me to get a nice clean cut & polish for the finish.....
Which has already given them a nice rich colour. Cherry grain is quite tight and resilient so should work well.
 Before I can fit them I need to harden & temper the steel, this can be done without a furnace but much better results will be obtained with a good even heat source, a butane blowtorch won't quite do it. For now I have to leave them, soon I'll either borrow the use of a potter's Kiln or just have a nice wood fire. With some offcuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment